Thursday, January 27, 2011

A Letter to my Grandfather.......

Pappaw, here we are again...at home, surrounded by the familiar & precious sights & sounds & smell of family.  All my life we've been seperated by miles yet I could always pack up and come home & you'd be here waiting. You wouldnt be sitting in the rocking chair or twidling your thumbs & you wouldnt be still for long when I joined you, but you'd be here just the same, glad to see me & sad when our time together was over.
          Home is where we've shared many a summer day & made lots of happy memories....like learning to swim in your pool, or sitting in a deer stand, just the two of us, & you showing me a doe with her fawn walk out of the wods. Thats the same time you scared me when you put on a camo mask & I almost fell out of the stand! Then there's the times when I was younger when you would let me comb your wavy hair & one time you even combed mine! I remember places you took me & things you bought me. I remember all the Thanksgiving Days & how you always won the 'christmas eve gift.' And how could I forget cutting down my first christmas tree with you after I got married. It was huge & you tied & tied the rope. It took us hours to get it off the top of that honda civic! I remember all those happy things and it makes me smile.
             But something is different this time. I'm home & ur not here. And it's something more than miles that keeps us a part.  I can't jump in the car anymore & come see you or even pick up the phone & call you. We won't have another summer together & mimmaw won't celebrate another anniversary.  And that's why I'm crying.
               I've always told you I love you but I want to say it again. I love you & think you are the greatest grand dad anyone coud ever have! Your my hero because of all you did! You fought in WWII. You love my grandmother faithfully for  almost 65 years. You lead my dad to the Lord. You came to all my piano recitals. You touched my life!
           I want you to know, like always I can't stay here long. After today, i'll go to my house & keep living, making  memories with our family. I'll tell my kids about you & show them pictures. And as often as I can, i'll come back. But home is changed forever; life is changed forever.
        But, let me tell you 1 more thing... 1 day we'll b 2gether again, you & I. I'll join you in heaven, our real home, a home that last 4ever with no cancer, old age, separation & crying. And the best part...we'll all be with our Lord & Savior, Jesus.  And right nw, I promise 2 do everything I can to bring all our family with me!
          Your granddaughter forever, Kristy

0 comments:

Post a Comment